Major General (retd.) Andrew Sharpe
Director of the British Army’s Centre for Analysis and Conflict Research
Strategy and Security Institute
3:20 PM PANEL DISCUSSION: FAREWELL TO THE OLD GUARD? WILL BIG DATA REPLACE HUMAN ANALYSTS ON OPERATIONS
This panel discussion will explore how big data analytic systems will develop over the next 10 years, the implications of this for the human operator, and assess whether it is realistic to expect machines to be deployed on operations with no human interface:
· How will data analytic systems evolve over the next 10 years?
· Will AI systems ever be deployable without any human interface?
· Should limits be enforced on the use of AI systems within defence?
· Has the emergence of AI systems signalled a fundamentally new form of warfighting?
· Militaries and national security forces hold significant amounts of data obtained through years of acquisition and analysis, which remains integral to ongoing and future operations
· How can forces maintain accuracy when handling legacy data?
· Understanding the limitations on machine learning platforms in identifying and analysing information
· How can you best analyse and communicate information to front line commanders?